How to upgrade Magento using old Database
If you want to upgrade your Magento-Store there are many different ways to do that. I prefer this one:
If you want to install a fresh copy of a new magento version – and you want to transfer your products and customers from your old magento store you can do it this way:
- disable cache in your actual magento store
- make a copy of your actual magento database
- install this dump in a new database (I call it „dump-database“)
- Download the latest version of magento.
- Start the setup routine.
- When Magento asks for the access data of your database, use the acess data of the „dump-database“.
- Magento will automatically upgrade your database to the newer one.
- Copy your theme, make sure it will run on the newer Magento-version.
- Copy your media folder to use all images of products and categories and wysiwyg.
- Install all the extensions you used in your old store again – make sure, they will run on the newer magento version. If there are newer downloads available, use them.
- Reindex data
If everything works fine – enable cache is the last thing to do…